Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Make Way For Ducklings: Playlist and Commentary April 1, 2009

ducks

Today's show was great, and if doing the show wasn't cool enough, I left the studio only to find a duck and her ducklings! It was so adorable my ear started bleeding! I took some video of them on my computer and have started and finished this posting with clips of it. Good luck reading and not thinking about ducks. I realize that I'm completely upstaging my show with these guys, but come on...

For some odd reason, the blog has decided to double space today. I can't figure out how to fix it. That seems to be my only real problem today, so all in all I figure, I win.

Here is the playlist from today's show:


1) I Blame Bill - Darth Vader on Ukelele

2) ??? - Sur End A

This is a guy who I met at a house party and gave me his CD after he played. He's really quite magical to watch and has a bizarre infectious laugh that is a part of his singing. I believe his name is Marc.

3) Corridor - Barrkks *

New music on Manimal Vinyl. I like the music but am not quite so crazy about the vocals. I'm interested to see where these guys go.

4) Indian Jewelry - Lost My Sight

5) Tones On Tail - Go!

6) Brimstone Howl - We Came In Peace

7) The Stalkers - In Your Street Today

Thanks to DJ Short Shorts for turning me on to these guys. Unfortunately, I was too sick to see them play on Saturday.

8) Stiff Little Fingers - Suspect Device +

9) Soft Boys - I Wanna Destroy You

10) Strange Boys - They're Building Death Camps *

11) Foot Village - Protective Nourishment +

It's kind of weird to have an Asian girl screaming "I put pee-pee in your coke". I had completely forgotten how much mileage a 9 year old can get with the words "me Chinese, me play joke..." Thank you Foot Village for bringing it all back home. By the way, if you don't know, Foot Village is an all drum three piece band that includes Josh from Friends Forever (hence the next song) and our own International Voice of Reason. They rule, so come see them on the 11th at the KXLU Fundrazor show.

12) Friends Forever - Win

13) Chain and the Gang - Chain Gang Theme (I See Progress) *

New band starring Ian Svenonius and anyone who has ever walked into the K Records office.

14) So Many Wizards - I'm Just Like You *

15) The Nextdoor Neighbors - The Werewolf Song *

16) David Byrne and Brian Eno - Wanted For Life

17) Dan Deacon - Of The Mountains *

What did I tell you two weeks ago? This was a guaranteed new add for KXLU! Anyway, this would be a heavy competitor for album of the year if Animal Collective hadn't gone and released the best album since Kid A. Seriously, 2009 is turning out to be the best musical year ever. Every bands new album is leaving all of their past albums miles behind: Animal Collective, Abe Vigoda, Dan Deacon, Crystal Antlers; and it's only April!

18) Mi Ami - The Man In Your House *+

19) Crystal Antlers - Andrew *

20) Lansing-Dreiden - Dividing Island

They only sound like their from Detroit in the 70's. They are actually contemporary and in New York.

21) Death - Rock

Okay, they actually are from Detroit in the 70's. Check out the best music article I've seen in a long long time in the New York Times CLICK HERE

22) Wavves - Sun Opens My Eyes *

23) Harry Belefonte - Matilda

What? I needed a palette cleanser.

24) Funkadelic - Back In Our Minds

25) Bob James - Take Me To Mardi Gras

I cannot say it better than Jason Smith. CLICK HERE

26) DJ Shadow - Fixed Income

27) Religious Girls - (Rough Mixes Track Four)

Okay, this band used to be called Destroy Tokyo. I discovered them because I saw the spine of their CD and I liked the colors so I pulled it out. I then saw that they were called Destroy Tokyo so I figured I was into that. I then listened to the EP and liked it so much that I made the song Necklace my Myspace song for about 3 months. Then I found out that they changed their name to Religious Girls (which grabs me way less than Destroy Tokyo, but that's just me) and that they were playing Pehrspace. I don't know that I have been as blown away by a relatively unknown band as hard as I was them. They are amazing and need to be discovered by everyone! I convinced Sean Carlson to add them to last years Fuck Yeah Festival line up, but something got screwed up and they wound up not being able to play. If they don't play this year I'm breaking legs! See this band and thank me later!

28) Darker My Love - The Rule of Queen Tsago *

29) Abe Vigoda - Don't Lie *

30) Fucked Up - No Epiphany (No Age Remix) *

Wow! Congratulations to Randy and Dean for putting together a great remix!

31) Little Richard - Goodnight Irene

Okay, I am currently revisiting Little Richard and am pissed that I didn't do it sooner. This man is out of his gourd and his records are so amazing. Far be it from me to pass up a Leadbelly cover!

32) Jeremy Jay - Gallop *

33) Smog - I Break Horses

34) New Order - Procession

35) Belle and Sebastian - Electric Renaissance

36) Beta Band - Dry The Rain

37) Captain Ahab - Health/Foot Village Mash-Up

I have already ranted and raved about this remix from my last 2-6 am show 3 weeks ago. This song still floors me every time!.

38) Portishead - Machine Gun

39) ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead - Fields of Coal

40) Adanowsky - Estoy Mal

Damn it! Song cut off right before the end due to a computer glitch. I guess that just means I'll have to play it a bunch more times to make up for this injustice! Adanowsky is Adan Jodorowsky, Alejandro Jodorowski's amazingly talented son. Feel free to have a nature vs. nurture conversation about how Adan became so amazing. Is it the genetics of having a father who's films have started full scale riots or perhaps it is from being surrounded by midgets, amputees, mimes and James Brown at various points throughout his life. Either way the guy is amazing and our friends at Skinny Directors are directing his newest video. I will be sure to have them come on the show and explain the debauchery that enseud for themselves when the video is close to release.

41) Black Sabbath - War Pigs (Live) +

Request from Jake and Marc

42) Fever Ray - If I Had A Heart *

43) Velvet Underground - Sister Ray

44) Suicide - Mr. Ray

Maybe I should have finished my Ray set with a wholesome comedy routine from TVs Ray Romano. Oh well...The Chinese use the same word for crisis as they do opportunity, so I guess I really screwed that one up!

Talk later!

Josh

*KXLU New Add

+ Request

...and now, more ducklings!!!

Ducks 2

No comments: