Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Today I Didn't Even Have To Use My A.K.: I Got To Say It Was A Good Show

I have to say, last night's show felt really good. I did the whole 2-6am show and drank less than 1 energy drink. The music seemed right and I never struggled too much to figure out what I was going to play next (which is always a concern considering I have absolutely no clue what I am going to play when I walk into the studio. Free form radio!) Here is my set list and some thoughts. Hope you enjoy!

1) Chicago Transit Authority - Free Form Guitar
My mother, having not had a record player for many years now, decided to give me all of her records. There were some amazing items in the collection, especially in the way of Beatles albums and a 12 record set of hits from the 50s. The real fun, however was digging through the less than stellar albums searching for buried gems. Enter Chicago. On Chicago's first album from 1969, the band was still using the longer handle, Chicago Transit Authority. Free Form Guitar is 7 minutes of guitar feedback noise (yes it's a Hendrix rip off, but still...Chicago?). Anyway, if you are interested in finding other Chicago gems, my advice is don't bother.

2) Harvey Milk - Death Goes To The Winner
Let's face it, if you see a band from Athens, Georgia with the name Milk in their name, buy the fucking record! This track, aside from being fantastic in it's own right pays homage to The Velvet Underground's "Waiting For The Man" as well as The Beatles' "A Day In The Life".

3) M. Ward (ft. Lucinda Williams) - Oh Lonesome Me *
4) Andrew Bird - Masterswarm *
5) Mike Bones - A Fool For Everyone *
6) Cornelius - Fit Song (Books Remix)
7) Odd Nosdam - Top Rank *
8) Themselves (Featuring Aesop Rock, Busdriver, Why?, cLOUDDEAD and more) - Mix Tape
Themselves (Doseone and Jel) are putting out a mix tape with all of the above artists contributing. The best news, though, is that this is the first time since Ten (That I can think of, but I might be wrong, anyway, it has been a few years) that cLOUDDEAD has worked together as a whole. Here's a link to an excerpt of the mix tape thanks to pitchfork CLICK HERE enjoy!

9) cLOUDDEAD - Bike (1)
If you don't own cLOUDDEAD's first, self titled, album all of your hip hop listening has been prelude to this. Played, of course, out of excitement for the Themselves mix tape.

10) Charles Spearin - Vanessa *
Broken Social Scene's Charles Spearin released his album "The Happiness Project" which is him interviewing various people around his neighborhood about the nature of happiness and then mapping the notes that are produced by their natural speaking voices and using them as melodies for beautifully crafted songs. Vanessa is the best of these, featuring Vanessa, a successful recipient of a cochlear implant discusses being deaf for 30 years and then beginning to hear.

11) Abe Vigoda - Don't Lie *
Track 1 off of the new EP, Reviver, on Dean Spunt's PPM label. This EP miraculously bests their last album, Skeletons, which was already an impressive achievement last year.

12) Jarvis Cocker - Cunts Are Still Running The World
13) Vibrarians - Red Light *
14) Death - Let The World Turn
Newly added to the Pantheon of Black Rock, Death's proto-punk by way of Detroit album "For The Whole World To See" finally got released by Drag City this year. I'll let Danny Gabai tell you more about it: HOTLANTIS You should be reading his blog anyway. One bowl of Danny's blog contains 12 times the fiber as one bowl of your cereal.

15) Red Stars Theory - Rustin *
New music from Jeremiah from Modest Mouse and James from 764-hero

16)Galaxy 500 - Blue Thunder (Peel Session)
17)Bardo Pond - Isle
I'll be perfectly honest, I only played this because it is 11 minutes long and I had to go to the bathroom like I've never had to in my life. That's the ugly truth of DJing solo!

Okay, I decided to invent a game - play one song by any band and follow it with another band who's name shared a word with the previous band (The does not count if you are playing at home). Someday I'll try a longer version of this game linking each song and see how long I can go. Sounds fun.
18) In Waves - Your Favorite Storm +
19) Wavves - So Bored
20) Mr. Scruff - Donkey Ride *
21) Mr. Chop - Zoid
22) Fuck Buttons - Ribs Out
23) Holy Fuck - Korock
24) Animal Collective - Summertime Clothes *
25) Animal (from the muppets) - Conversation with Kermit
Ha! Thank you You Tube

26) Dent May and his Magnificent Ukulele - I'm An Alcoholic *
27) Tiny Tim - Tip Toe Through The Tulips
28) Beirut - La Llorna Is Overtaking Me *
30) Nick Drake - Fly
What if I said I was playing the Nick Drake song, but then just played the Sugar Ray song?

31) Bonny Prince Billy - A King At Night

At this point I had so successfully brought the mood down so far I decided to drop the bottom out and go into a roots music/delta blues set of field recordings

32) Bessie Jones & The Georgia Sea Island Singers - O Day
From the Goodbye Babylon compilation...get it, you will thank me later.

33) Lead Belly - Where Did You Sleep Last Night
Alan and John Lomax recording for the Library of Congress. Best cover Nirvana ever did!

34) Blind Willie McTell - Lord Send Me An Angel
The White Stripes covered this song on a 7" with You're Pretty Good Looking as the B side.

35) Jelly Roll Morton - Dirty Dozen
Another field recording by Alan Lomax from 1938. How many recordings from the 30's can you think of that open with the line "You dirty mother fucker, you old cock sucker"? I can only think of 1 and between 2-6am the FCC lets me play it!

36) Skip James - Devil Got My Woman
From Ghost World soundtrack.

37) Robert Johnson - Crossroad Blues
That's all for the Roots Music/Delta Blues Field Recording set

38) Mi Ami - Echononecho *
39) Raekwon - Wisdom Body +
40) Madlib - Never Front *
41) Sporto Kontes - Tower
42) Add N To (X) - P.P. Machine
43) New Order - Ceremony
44) Liquid Liquid - Optimo
45) !!! - Me and Giuliani Down By The Schoolyard
46) ELO - Overature
This is off of ELO's first record and is the best song that Black Sabbath never wrote. Jeff Lynne is a genius, and I'm not afraid to say it!

* KXLU new add
+ request

Well, that's the show. Listen in next week and call in with requests - 310-338-KXLU (5958). The station also does instant messenger at the IM address KXLUdj. If you don't get KXLU on the radio, you can listen on www.kxlu.com.

TTFN

No comments: