Friday, October 30, 2009

This Town Ain't Big Enough For Both Of Us...And It Ain't Me Who'se Gonna Leave

Good morning.  Today, I have a very special guest.  I often reference him on the show, largely because we share a music pool that gets taken to the station and made into my show each week.  Danny Gabai is my best friend, DJ partner, roommate and after buying a new house in Silverlake, he is soon to be my landlord.



Despite the fact that we are best friends, an important dynamic of our relationship is that on a cosmic level, we are attempting to destroy each other.  Frankly, we are only as close as we are because our antlers are locked.



This week, Danny is on staycation (recessions provide such catchy terms) and announced that he was available to come on the show.  We decided to celebrate us in the only way we know how...battle to the death.  This week's theme is songs challenging a showdown, songs about battles, songs about each other and songs about fighting words in general. 



Check out Danny's blog HERE.  It will blow your mind, I promise.



Here are the songs:



Sparks - This Town Ain't Big Enough For Both Of Us



Josh Set 1
Pink Floyd - One Of These Days
Joy Division - The Kill
Ariel Pink - Bloody (Bagonias)
The Pixies - There Goes My Gun

Elvis Costello - wave a
white flag



Danny Set 1
The Soft Boys - I Wanna Destroy You
Bonnie Prince Billy - Beware Your Only Friend
The Beach Boys - Heroes and Villains 
Boris - My Neighbor Satan
Lou Reed - Vicious



Josh Set 2



Louis Jordan - You Run Your Mouth And I'll Run My Business Brother
Louis Armstrong - (I'll be glad when you're dead) You Rascal, You
Brian Eno - Dead Finks Don't Talk
Richard Swift - The Bully
The Avalanches - Frontier Psychiatry 



Danny Set 2
Prince - Strange Relationship
Quasimoto - Put A Curse On You
Pavement - The Hex
Joe Strummer - Love Kills
Nick Cave - Death Is Not The End



Josh Set 3



Dead Kennedys - Let's Lynch the Landlord
Liars - If You're a Wizard Then Why Do You Wear Glasses
Friends Forever - Carnisaur Vs. Unicorn
Lightning Bolt - Duel In Deep
Harry Nilsson/Van Dyke Parks - It's Not Easy Being Me



Danny Set 3



Rolling Stones - Street Fighting Man
Gill Scott Heron - Home Is Where The Hatred Is
Minutemen - Storm In My House
New Order - Leave Me Alone
Harvey Milk - One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong



Pitchfork - Burn Pigs Burn +
Played by Naheed who donated tickets to Modest Mouse/Night Marchers



Josh Set 4



Aesop Rock - Abandon All Hope
Cannibal Ox - Tippin Dominoes
Company Flow - Definitive
Mad Villian - Raid
Deltron 3030 - Battlesong



Danny Set 4



The Homosexuals - Hearts In Exile
Husker Du - Chartered Trips
Japandroids - The Boys Are Leaving Town
No Age - My Life's Alright Without You
Robert Wyatt - At Last I Am Free



Josh Set 5



Stone Roses - Shoot You Down
The Pretty Things - Death
Madlib (Beat Konducta) - The Rumble
Prince Buster - Hard Man Fe Dead
Islands - Pieces Of You



Danny Set 5



King Geedorah - Fazers
The Beatles - Happiness Is A Warm Gun
Woody Allen - Bullet in my Breast Pocket
Grizzly Bear - Knife
The Flaming Lips - The Gash
Guided By Voices - Smothered In Hugs



Josh Set 6



Stiff Little Fingers - I Don't Like You
Night Sun - Plastic Shotgun



No comments: