Saturday, June 14, 2008

Oh Hi. I Didn't See You There

Hello.

My name is Josh Frankfort. I like music. A lot. What's that? You do too? What were the odds? I like you. You "get it".

Well, I suppose I should tell you a bit about myself.

I'm a graduate student at Loyola Marymount University, getting my masters in secondary education so I can become a high school history teacher.

Before making the decision to become a teacher, I had spent a number of years in the music industry working both for a large agency as well as a small management firm. The management firm was my last job and I was working with Lavender Diamond, Marnie Stern, ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead, Islands, Triangle, Minutes Til Midnight and a few others.

Now I'm a DJ



My show is called Passing Through, because from 2-6am, I like to imagine that the vast majority of people listening are on a crazy cross country road trip in a car with no CD player and that they are frantically searching the lower end of the dial, trying to find good college stations to get them all the way across this gargantuan land mass. That's what I do anyway.

People ask me, "what kind of stuff do you play"?

I have absolutely no idea idea how to answer this question.

I can say this: here are my top 5 albums of all time:

Iggy Pop - The Idiot
David Bowie - Low
Lou Reed - Berlin
Modern Lovers - Precise Order (is this cheating? Can a bootleg be a favorite album?)
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

I think out of those records, you can get a decent feel for the aesthetic I generally go for. I play obvious music for people who don't like obvious music.

Okay, so that's me.

"May I start by saying how thrilled we are to have you here. We are such fans of your music and all of your records. I'm not speaking of yours personally, but the whole genre of the rock and roll."

- Lt. Hookstratten

No comments: